Sunday, May 13, 2007

1. I lost the key to my bicycle which is impossible. And all the fantasies of riding around Kashii on a hot summer's eve or twelve have disappeared along with it.

2. I found a chair that I want as I am more than finished with sitting on the floor but the chair is three train stops a transfer and three subway stops away and having it delivered would more than double the cost. PUH-HUH.

3. I always had thoughts of hanging freshly laundered and sweet smelling linens and trousers and such in the afternoon sun and whistling while I worked and sipping on lemonade while the fabrics dried. Really though it's a pain in the rump as I have no patience and my Japanese laundry soap isn't scented and real lemonade doesn't exist here and everything is wrinkled beyond belief after taking years to dry and if there's one thing I hate it's ironing stiff lint-laden button-down shirts. My only condolence is that I'll be able to tell my children and grandchildren "in my day, people in Japan didn't have robots to do their laundry like they do now." (And they'd better, because if not this work will have been all for nothing.)

4. I've been thinking a lot lately about all my kiddos from student teaching. This time last year started bringing about the changes and it still makes me cry and long for what was.

5. Yesterday I went back to Dazaifu to re-explore.


View while dining on udon tempura.


Japanese garden in Komyozenji (a buddhist) Temple.


Me inside the temple. And to the right a man who found true tranquility and is further proof that Japanese can sleep anywhere.

No comments: