Friday, February 29, 2008

Not to harp on the whole China/visa/China visa thing, but --

1. I went back to the consulate to pick up my passport this morning and the visa itself is SO not as cool-looking as I thought it would be. I have no idea what I EXPECTED it to look like...
...actually I take that back. I just looked at it again for the first time since this morning and didn't initially see the detail that I now see, like a subtle image of the Great Wall behind some text that IS actually - DARE I SAY - pretty cool. NEVERMIND. I'll never prematurely judge the design of a visa ever again -- I have surely learned this, one of life's greatest lessons, today.

2. It was actually really nice to be out and about on a Friday before work. Normally on working days I'll get up a few hours before needing to be at the school for some Lauren-time, but rarely do I go out and interact with the Jworld unless it's for a run, and that's just in my hood. Word. Anyway, I felt all productive and stuff. Word.

3. Walking back to the metro from the consulate helped me realize that even though I'm nervous about going to China (which is so STUpid, I know how to travel, I've been LIVING in another Asian city with just as many language and cultural barriers for crying out loud, what's my PROBLEM? And what's with these CAPITAL LETTERS?) I know it'll obviously be worth it. Just picking up the visa made me really happy to be out doing something, to be out just -- living. (Seriously, I was so stupidly giddy about it I kind of felt like skipping but was afraid I'd fall into the canal I was walking/not skipping next to.) I just like -- life.

---

In other news, February's LaBloPloMo wasn't entirely successful but I do intend on attempting a post-a-day in March as well. March. March as in March. March as in the month I leave Japan. March as in WHAAA!?

In other other news, I've decided to start my six-month language project in April. I've been building my resources steadily and probably DO have enough to start in on the first language this month, but with the China trip, the last three weeks at work (including crossover training with the new teacher that I need to prepare for), mounting farewell party invitations (oh, how awful for me!), and orchestrating an international move, it seems I'm going to be a touch too busy to devote serious time to it. And it should have serious time devoted to it. Plus after the inevitable huge amount of floundering after returning stateside (what am I doing with my LIIIIFFFEE!!?!??!?!), it'll provide me with a purpose for living! Hooray!

In other other other news, dang it! There are several incredibly cool new students that I'm really sorry I won't be able to work long-term with.

In other other other other final news of this jumpy, poorly-written post -- 26 days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Moon:

Can't wait for your return -- yet the thought of the end of your yearlong adventure is a little sad.

Love,
Mum