Sunday, November 25, 2007

Alright. Phew. Only six more days until National Blog Posting Month is over. For this one I'm dipping into one of the questions I got from my friend Audrey -- she asked what store in Fukuoka will I miss most when I'm no longer here.

The answer is a place that I like to call Hanjiro (because that's the name of the store). Hanjiro has a combination of new and used clothing -- the new stuff is all really well-designed and made (looks like it could be local, but I have no idea), and the old stuff is not all that old and is divided into cool sections (track jackets, argyle sweaters, vintage baseball-style tees, Doc Martens, Converse). It's basically an indie kid clothes heaven. You also get 10% back of any used clothing you buy to put toward your next purchase on a point card (pronounced "point-o card-o")! AND it's huge and looks all cool (click on "shop" and go to "Fukuoka" [duh]).

But what I really really like about it is that a lot of the clothes are fairly unisex, so there's not really a clear men's or women's section -- everyone's just shopping everywhere and so it's not awkward for me (who doesn't wear really girly things and who wouldn't be able to fit in that stuff anyway) to be looking through the clothes that will fit my freakishly long American limbs and torso the best. It's just nice to shop in a place where I feel like I can take my time, nobody cares that I'm shopping there, and I know I can find things that I like and that fit properly (mostly).

Plus I got my key chain there!





His name is Hans.

And on the subject of shopping, let me just say that while I do miss the Christmassy ambiance from not being back home this time of year, I don't miss the full parking lots and horrible crowds that the season brings. Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That store looks like so much fun. And that might be the best Japanese key chain ever made.