Thursday, November 1, 2007

i went as a bitter old hag

You know, there's always danger in revisiting anything you used to watch as a kid in that it's likely you'll realize what you watched as a kid was stupid (my God don't even get me started on what happened when I watched Babes in Toyland for the first time in seven years. You'd think Drew Barrymore and Keanu Reeves wandering around in Cincinnati/Christmasland would be movietastic, but NO. I was shocked and wanted to travel back in time to slap myself for watching it over and over every Christmas.)

Anyway, that's what happened with It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, which is OBVIOUSLY supposed to be a CLASSIC. I put it on to have something to watch whilst folding my freshly laundered socks (ooo!) and good God is that thing LOUD. Like really, really, unnecessarily full of shrill voices and extraneous sound effects.

The Peanuts gang's running all over the place shouting TRICK OR TREAT!!!!! every five seconds and Snoopy's riding around in that plane and it's all BBBBBBBBBBBBBBVVVVVBBBB!!!!!! (or whatever the sound of an annoying cartoon plane looks like it sounds like) for hours and Sally's yelling at Linus for making her sit in the pumpkin patch all night and just, just, just SHUT IT! I'M TRYING TO MATCH MY VARIOUS PAIRS OF WHITE YET SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT LOOKING SOCKS AND I CAN'T DO IT WITH ALL THE NOISE! I kept cringing and making my volume go down lower and lower until it wasn't even worth having on anymore. Classics should have standards, not characters talking and doing stuff at a noise level comparable to feedback. And once again, I'm shocked at the poor taste of my younger self. Slappy slappy slap slap.

And I never really did get the whole Great Pumpkin thing. Was I supposed to learn I should believe in something that clearly doesn't exist so people can yell at me and not get free candy? I'm not falling for THAT again!

Welp, my costume's done. Suck it, childhood.

Edit I: HAHA who am I kidding? You know I'll get excited to watch it next year. And Babes in Toyland time is just a mere two months away. I can't wait!

Edit II: Oh my gosh I just watched this preview for Babes in Toyland and now I want to watch it more than ever.


2 comments:

b. said...

dude i've been trying to watch babes in toyland for like forever but whenever "it" is on tv, it's actually some stupid dumb animated thing with the same name. i don't care if it sucks, it's great in my head.

Lauren said...

OH MY GOSH it's so horrible/awesome. I have it on VHS and I'll be home for the holidays. Just sayin'...