Saturday, November 10, 2007

whoa

Work was long and tiring today so when I sat down on the train I immediately plugged into my iPod and prepared for a good twelve minutes of zoning. Too lazy to consciously choose what to listen to, I hit shuffle and the train departed. First my ears went to Clear the Area by Imogen Heap and when it was finished I was a third of the way home. Girl by Danzig was next and I was two thirds there. Zoning, zoning, all the while, and then and then and then.

And then Around the World by Daft Punk came, and my innocent zonified train ride turned into a full-fledged extended daydream of all those around me suddenly jumping up and doing all the choreography in the video, except using the train aisles and seats and conductor's boxes as a stage -- the salarymen, the office ladies, the school kids, the J-boys, and the old people -- all up, their ties and briefcases flying, in perfectly matched movements on on and off beats, dancing, dancing, moving, moving, me sitting and staring at their rotating hips and shoulders, until we pulled into Kashii Station and the song ended. They all sat down, I snapped back into reality, and I took my ear buds out. ...the heck?

No comments: