Friday, November 30, 2007

sockspicious

It's the last day of National Blog Posting Month and I'm going to celebrate by writing about socks.

Most of the time, after I've finally convinced myself to do laundry (about once every two months), I won't hang my socks up to dry on the balcony with my other clothes as I don't have enough clothespins to clamp all of them down so they don't fly off the back of my building when a strong wind hits (which I've witnessed happening...twice). Instead I put them on the back of my chair, like so*:



Usually I don't sit in my chair when my socks are drying -- I like to give them their space to air out, and besides, they're cranky when they're wet. Because of that, and because I did my laundry right before I went to bed last night, I was quite surprised to notice their position upon waking (and some milling about):



IT LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE TRYING TO CRAWL DOWN THE CHAIR.

Stripey: I can't take this anymore! I'm blowin' this popsicle stand fellas!
Confetti-y: Yeahs! No kiddings! Let's bail!
White and blackey: Right behind yous guys. Tell that Lauren to go suck a lemon!

I have no idea how it happened. I also have no idea why my socks have the accents of 1920's New Jersey gangsters. I obviously either sat in the chair or bumped it or something but I've no recollection of that happening and besides I noticed it pretty soon after getting up.

And I thought I was doing them a favor by allowing them to dry inside. Puh. I showed them who's boss and balled their sock asses up and put them where they belong: on lock down in the state draweratentiary.

*photo taken retroactively

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Socks aren't to be trusted. I'm glad you put them in their place.

Anonymous said...

Moon:

Hilarious account of your socks (this stuff happens all the time but no one writes about it), yet the thing that "concerns" me is the frequency, or lack of frequency that you do your laundry!

Mum